Health claims are a key tool for FEDIOL members to accurately inform consumers on relevant and useful nutrients in vegetable bottled oils and enable them to make informed and meaningful choices.
FEDIOL monitors the EU evaluation process of existing generic health claims on the market.
The EFSA evaluation is ongoing and being performed by batches (last batch by summer 2011). Once the EFSA evaluation is finalised the Commission will publish a Community list of all allowed generic health claims as well as a list of all the banned ones.
To date, the following fatty acid-health relationships relevant for FEDIOL have been established:
- LA and maintenance of normal blood cholesterol at 15% of reference intake value of 10g LA a day
- ALA and maintenance of normal blood cholesterol at 15% of reference intake value of 2g ALA a day
- EPA & DHA and maintenance of normal blood pressure at EPA & DHA intake of about 3g/day
- EPA and DHA and maintenance of normal triglycerides concentration at EPA & DHA intake of about 2-3g/day
- EPA and DHA and maintenance of normal cardiac function
- DHA and the maintenance of normal brain function (optimization of brain maturation and cognitive function in the elderly)
- DHA and the maintenance of normal vision